The Clumber Community Centre

An Early Photograph of Clumber showing the Church without the Vestry

 This is an interesting photograph in that it shows the 3rd Clumber Church prior to 1916 when a Vestry was added. It also shows that the current School is absent and this was built in 1905. In 1873 the second Church was demolished and a new schoolroom was built. If the building on the right (as you view the photograph) is the old school then this photograph was taken between 1873 and 1905.

The Community Support Centre at Clumber 1912 - 1916

 New Buildings and Happenings

At the time of the opening of the third Church in 1867, the second church was still standing and was used for a variety of purposes. It was finally demolished in 1873 when a new schoolroom was built.
In 1889 a Manse was built and in 1905 a new school building. This was followed by the building of a Hall in 1913. Crockery bearing the Clumber name was purchased for use in the Hall. In 1916 Mr Henry Staples offered £350 to meet the cost of adding a Vestry to the Church. In 1934 a Lister lighting plant was purchased to replace the paraffin lamps which were still in use.
The above photograph shows a Church without the Vestry which was added in 1916 and the presence of The Hall which was opened in 1914.
"The Hall Clumber" crockery setting

Crockery from Johnson Brothers

 When The Hall was built in 1913 ( opened on 9 July 1913)  the Church commissioned Johnson Brothers in England to supply crockery bearing the wording "The Hall" and  "Clumber" joined in a blue ribbon. Milk jug, side plate, dinner plate, cup and saucer, sugar bowl, sweet bowl, water jug comprised the setting. Beautiful in plain white it is still in use today.

Created by Courteney George Bradfield